Return to East Texas
Starting in 1716, Spanish missions were built in East Texas. Nuestro Padre San Francisco de los Tejas was re-established on the west bank of the Neches River to replace a mission that had been abandoned there in 1693.
Four missions were founded in Nacogdoches County and Mission Concepción de los Hasinai was located near Douglass.
In 1719, French raids from Louisiana caused Spain to temporarily leave all the East Texas missions, but they were restored in 1721. Three missions were moved to Austin in 1730, but Missions Dolores and Guadalupe remained in East Texas until they were abandoned in 1773.
To balance the influence of the French in southeast Texas, the Spanish authorities established Nuestra Señora de la Luz del Orcoquisac mission in 1756 on the Trinity River.
This mission and its accompanying presidio suffered from illness, insects, and conflict between the missionaries and soldiers. Spain bought Louisiana in 1763, ending the threat of French raids. The Spanish administration lost interest in East Texas. Also, supplies were hard to get because the site was so isolated from the settled parts of Texas. By 1771, the Spanish had abandoned the missions in East Texas.
Source: The Spanish Missions in Texas
COPYRIGHT 2018 TEXAS STATE HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION.